Akron Dance Festival 2021 Schedule
Continuing Akron's unique 47 year tradition of presenting free dance performances in the parks during the summer,
The Heinz Poll Summer Dance Festival has been established to honor the legacy of the legendary founding Artistic
Director of Ohio Ballet. Free public performances by respected Ohio dance companies, each presenting a unique
dance experience, reflect the common thread of Poll's commitment to the highest artistic standards.
Since the 2006 demise of Ohio Ballet's Summer Festival that was founded in 1974 and supported by the City of Akron since 1975,
there was no ready outlet for dance in Akron. The Heinz Poll Summer Dance Festival presents as many as 18-20 separate dance
pieces offered each summer. Attendance averages about ten thousand per season.
ALL DANCE PROGRAMS BEGIN AT 8:45 PM ~ CHILDREN'S INTERACTIVE PROGRAM 7:45 PM
July 30, 31
Goodyear Metropolitan Park
(2077 Newton St., Akron, OH 44305)
GroundWorks Dance Theater
August 6, 7
(in between N. and S. Firestone Blvd. – Firestone neighborhood)
Dayton Contemporary Dance Company
Aug 13, 14
Forest Lodge Park
(by the ballfield on Jefferson Ave.)
Children’s Free Dance Classes
As part of its outreach program to neighborhoods in which the performances occur each week, free “Beginners Dance” classes will
be offered for children 6-10 years old. Classes held Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:30 – 11:30 am.
All classes are taught by professional dancers with Inlet Dance Theatre. The sessions are free, and no prior experience or advance
registration is necessary.
- July 27-29 ~ Reservoir Park Community Center ~ (1235 Hillside Terrace, Akron, OH 44305 – 330-375-2802)
- August 3-5 ~ Firestone Park Community Center ~ (1480 Girard Ave., Akron, OH 44301 – 330-375-2806)
- August 10-12 ~ Forest Lodge Community Center ~ (260 Greenwood Ave., Akron, OH 44313 – 330-836-2233)
Showmobile Interactive Dance Events
Inlet Dance Theatre & Djapo Cultural Arts Institute
New this year, the festival will present Inlet Dance Theatre in three Showmobile Interactive Performance events in collaboration with
Djapo Cultural Arts Institute (W African dance) on the theme of “Racial Identity and Social Justice.” The companies will perform and
encourage attendee participation and interaction on the grass in front of the stage.
- July 28 – Joy Park Community Center (825 James Ingram Way, Akron, OH 44306 – 330-375-2805)
- August 4 – Patterson Park Community Center (800 Patterson Ave., Akron, OH 44310 – 330-375-2819)
- August 11 – Summit Lake Community Center (380 W. Crosier St., Akron, OH 44311 – 330-375-2826)
Dance Stage to be shared with Akron Symphony Ensemble on Sundays
The City of Akron will extend the use of its weekend dance stage to Sunday nights again this summer for a series of three free admission
concerts by the Akron Symphony Ensemble, under the direction of Christopher Wilkins and Eric Benjamin. Each ensemble performance
begins at 7:30pm.
- August 1 - Goodyear Metropolitan Park
- August 8 - Firestone Park
- August 15 - Forest Lodge Park
**Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, we will abide by all health and safety guidelines as outlined by Summit County Public Health.